Thursday, August 07, 2003

A respiratory therapist stopped by the house tonight to go over the Vest with us. It was very helpful and I think we have a better understanding of how it works and what we’re supposed to do if the thing ever breaks down. Although the kids were running around screaming, wound up from a late afternoon nap, Jules was able to focus on what the woman was telling us.

I just want to say that I am so lucky to have such a wonderful woman for a wife. Not only is she a wonderful mother and a loving wife, but also she's so on top of things when it comes to all of the medicines and Jacob’s treatments. On top of that, she’s very sensitive to Sophie’s feelings and trying to include her.

This may come off sounding strange since we’ve been married for 9 ½ years, but I am still amazed at times that someone like Julie is actually in love with me. And I find myself stepping back at times and going, “wow, I can’t believe she just said that, or did that.”

The other day we were discussing the trip to Hawaii for the marathon. It’s going to be expensive and we’re not sure where we’re going to come up with the money. For a brief moment, I thought to myself, “I guess I may have to go alone”. And it was as if she knew those words were traveling down the brain pipe to my mouth.

“I can’t imagine you being there and not having someone there to cheer for you as you cross the finish line.”

Those simple words may seem like the obvious thing to say, but Julie is so sincere, it’s not like she said them because she felt like she HAD to say them. These were her true feelings. After ten years, she still says things that blow me away. She still shows me every day, despite my shortcomings as a father, as a husband… as a man; she still shows me that she loves me as much, if not more, as the day we married.

We have had a rough couple of years since Jacob was diagnosed. We have weathered each and ever storm together with our hands held tight and our hearts together. I don’t know how I could have survived these last two years… or the last ten, without Julie.

I really am a lucky man.

No comments: